Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Anak sa Dios

Last year, I became a godmother for the first time to my precious niece Felicity Rose. This summer I was blessed to become a godmother again to two children here on Camiguin Island.


Baby Janice is the daughter of Jona, one of our best friends here in Sagay. Janice was born December 17, 2014. When we first met her, she was a tiny three-month-old weighing just 8.3 pounds. Today she is a very happy seven-month-old with a beautiful smile! God bless you, Janice!

Happy Baptism day, Janice! Now you are a child of God!
Two days before the baptism, my teammates and I attended a preparatory seminar required for all godparents. There we met two adorable nine-year-old cousins, AJ and Philip John. Their grandmother told us that she is their guardian - both boys' parents have either died or moved away - and asked us if we would like to be their godmothers. (In the Philippines it is common to have multiple godparents, both relatives and friends.) Of course we said yes!

Watching as Fr. Joe anoints Philip John.
I was so happily surprised when the boys' grandmother asked my teammate Alex to be godmother to AJ, and Genevieve and me to be godmothers to Philip John. My two favorite apostles are St. Philip and St. John!

I have always loved St. John because of his closeness to Our Lord. The Gospel tells us that at the Last Supper, he laid his head on Jesus' chest; how many others, besides Our Blessed Mother, were so close to Christ as to hear His heartbeat? St. John also boldly declares himself "the disciple whom Jesus loved." What confidence and trust he had in the Lord, that he would dare to claim this love for himself!

St. Philip has also become dear to me as I grow in my spiritual life because of his words to Jesus - "Lord, show us the Father, and we shall be satisfied" - and Jesus' reply - "Have I been with you for so long, and yet you do not know Me, Philip?" Often I imagine myself to be like Philip, desiring so much to know the Lord and yet frequently not seeking Him where He may be found or not recognizing Him when He is so near.


Happy Baptism day, AJ and Philip John! May you, like the child Jesus, grow in wisdom and in stature and in favor with God and man. We love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment