Friday, April 17, 2015

Jesus in the ward

My friends Richelo and Luz were admitted to the city hospital last week for seven days straight. Richelo is only 31 years old but is suffering from kidney failure and will now need weekly dialysis treatments for the rest of his life.

Waiting for the doctor to arrive.
This changes everything for their family. Can he ever farm again? Will they have to move to another island where dialysis is available? What about their three little kids?

I arrived at the hospital Monday morning to give the downpayment so Richelo could be cleared for surgery to insert a permanent access port in his forearm. From 10am until 7pm I stayed with them, first in the ward, then waiting outside the operating room, and finally back to the ward post-op. Nothing extraordinary, but something beautiful.

During Richelo's operation, I sat with Luz and her sister-in-law Kimberly outside the operating room. Clearly she was worried for her husband and her family. What could I say?

"Nag simba ka gahapon?" I asked. Did you go to church yesterday?

No, was her answer. "Wala ko nag simba." She had wanted to attend Mass but could not because she was taking care of Richelo.

I pulled my missal out of my bag. I always carry my Bible with me, but this time I had forgotten it at home and was pretty upset about it. It's a rookie missionary mistake to leave your Bible behind when doing ministry, especially if you expect to be in a hospital all day long. But God had a plan.

Kimberly came along to support Luz and Richelo during their hospital stay.
I found in my missal this Sunday's Mass readings and showed them to Luz. Together we read the first and second readings and the Gospel. Her concerned face lit up as she pointed to the last lines of the Gospel passage: "These are written that you may come to believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that through this belief you may have life in His name."

Luz's quiet, worried voice grew strong and sure as she spoke the name of Jesus. In the midst of it all, the uncertainty and pain, she was brought to tears by the reminder that Jesus is still Lord! Indeed,we have a Savior Who can do all things if we believe in Him.

After spending two days - a total of 20 hours - at the hospital with their family, I was overjoyed to pay the final bill and secure the discharge papers. I waved them happily at Richelo: "Ulit na ta! We're going home!" 

Finally discharged -- freedom!
God is truly good, and, although the road ahead for Richelo and Luz is full of unanswered questions, their faith has not wavered. Blessed indeed are those who believe, for they will have life in His name!


No comments:

Post a Comment