Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Humbled by the holy ones

One summer morning, I read in Luke 14:11, “Every one who exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted.” I knew Jesus was speaking those words to me. That afternoon, I stopped by the home of my student Kevin (read an older story about him here). Kevin, his cousin Edgar, and their neighbor Marnilou all graduated from high school this spring and are entering seminary this year to join a religious congregation of missionary priests. 

I wanted to visit with each boy’s family to discuss financial sponsorship for seminary. Unfortunately, I had forgotten that it was Kevin’s birthday, and his mother had prepared a feast at which we missionaries were to be the guests of honor. Talk about being humbled! My heart dropped to the floor as I realized this family had probably made many sacrifices to afford this special meal, and I did not even bring a small gift to celebrate his birthday. 

Thanking Kevin's mom for the delicious food!
But I couldn’t stay downcast for too long, as they began joyfully serving us heaping spoonfuls of all manner of food prepared with such care by Kevin’s mother. She led the blessing, thanking God for Kevin’s life, and all at once I was flooded with such a great love for their family and for these young men who aspire to become priests. All three boys admitted to us that they first felt called to the priesthood at a young age, about 9 or 10, through the witness of their own parish priests and through experiencing the presence of God at Mass. Now, still so young, they are ready to answer God’s call. It will take years of formation on another island, away from their own family and friends. It will cost much more than they can afford, and so they must depend on the generosity of sponsors to support their studies. But, as Edgar explained, their hope in becoming missionary priests is to bring Jesus to distant mountain areas, to bring the Eucharist to people who have never before heard the name of Jesus.

I am so honored to have a hand in helping these young men pursue their religious vocations. The Lord used the Scripture verse on humility to prepare me for my encounter that day, and to remind me once again that it is often His poorest, littlest children who have the greatest desire to offer their lives as a sacrifice back to Him, to thank Him for all that He has done.

“He called to Him those whom He desired; and they came to Him.” - Mark 3:13


**Update**
Since writing this, both Edgar and Marnilou have joyfully entered seminary. Kevin has decided to spend this year working and taking college courses while he continues to discern where God is calling him. More updates coming soon on our newest seminarians!

No comments:

Post a Comment