Monday, March 3, 2014

Speaking her language

Today I spoke with a little Filipino girl -- not in Visayan, not in English, but in sign language. Her name is Shaira Eunice, and she is deaf.

Our mission team accompanied Fr. Joe to a barrio chapel for Mass this evening. After nearly a month of living here in Sagay, it has become the norm for us to attend Mass in a language we do not understand and afterwards to meet parishioners and dine at their homes, capable only of communicating with them in simple phrases.  My dinner conversation in Visayan generally includes “good afternoon,” “delicious food,” and “thank you very much,” but not much else.

After tonight’s Mass ended, we filed out of our pew, and some children came over to greet us. I noticed one girl in particular about 10 years old wearing a pretty pink outfit. I felt compelled to say hello to her, though I didn’t know why. “What’s your name? Unsa imong ngalan?” I asked. She put one hand to her mouth and began gesturing to get the attention of another little girl. And then I understood.

“Deaf you? Your name what?” I signed to her.

“S-h-a-i-r-a  E-u-n-i-c-e.”

“She your sister?” I signed, motioning to the other girl.

“No, friends,” Shaira replied, explaining that her siblings were at home. A few moments later, when some women entered the chapel, she excitedly pointed out one in particular and signed “my mom!” by way of introduction. Seeing the smiles on the faces of both mother and daughter filled my heart with joy.

Sometimes as a missionary, you wonder if your presence can really make a difference in the lives of the people you serve. Aside from the retreats we give and the classes we teach, does our daily existence actually have an impact on the people of Sagay?

And tonight I know that it does. The smile on Shaira’s face as she waved goodbye to me said it all. To her, I was not only a pale-faced missionary from America; I was someone who could communicate in her own personal language, surprisingly better than I could communicate with the people around her.

I never knew exactly why I took sign language classes in college, but I loved learning to sign and hoped that someday I would be able to use it. Turns out God had a plan from the beginning. When you give your life to missions, be prepared for Him to make use of all your gifts and talents -- nothing goes to waste.

“Then I said, ‘Ah, Lord God! Behold, I do not know how to speak, for I am only a youth.’ But the Lord said to me, ‘Do not say, “I am only a youth”; for to all to whom I send you you shall go, and whatever I command you you shall speak.’” - Jeremiah 1:6-7

How grateful I am that He chose my voice and that He is giving me opportunities to speak!

1 comment:

  1. Providence! The good God is very good and always provides, though we don't always know how. Thank you for sharing and know of our prayers for you here at Pius XII.

    ReplyDelete